1. NUTRITION - I started fairly well with my first two splits telling me that I can manage to finish the run in just under 4 hours or just 5-10 minutes beyond 4 hours. But I bonked at around 24-25 km mark. I started having pathetic cramps in my right quad. I was dehydrating and losing energy to run. Though I tried to eat and drink after that but it was late by then. I really need to learn how to eat and drink on the run to maintain the energy levels.
2. REDUCE WEIGHT - As you can see in the pic, I am still heavy. I need to shed another around 10 kgs so that I need to exert less energy to pull my body weight. Losing excess weight will mean that I can run much faster.
3. ROUTE RECCE - The route for Hyderabad Marathon was tough because there were 3 flyovers and countless upslopes and downslopes. By 30 km, I was getting frustrated because I had not seen the route previously and was being surprised at every turn. From next time I will make it a point to see the route beforehand.
4. LONG RUNS - Because of my calf injury I was put off for nearly 2 months and was able to train properly for last one and half months. So, I was able to pull off only 2 long runs of 20 and 26 km. Next time, I need to do longer runs and atleast one run of more than marathon distance to get used to staying on feet for long and build endurance.
5. TEMPO - The longest tempo run I did was 5km. More and longer tempos required for better overall speed.
6. STRONGER CORE - I used to read a lot about strong core for stronger running but I realised it's importance after the run on 26th. I used to think that I have got a strong core but I was mistaken. Need to really work hard on the CORE issues!
I guess if I take care of these issues, then I will be able to run under 4 hours in my next marathon. Got to pull up my socks and kick myself harder.